- What is CELTA?
Certificate in English Language Teaching to Adults.
- Do I need to be able to speak a foreign language?
No. Centers may give preference to candidates with previous foreign language learning experience but this is not a course requirement.
- What is the average pass rate?
Internationally, 92.5% of candidates successfully complete the course, 24% at Pass ‘B’ level, 2% at pass ‘A’ level. 5% of candidates fail and 2.5% withdraw from the course. People who fail, if they want to do the course again, will have to pay the full course fees.
- Does the course cater for people with a lack of grammatical knowledge?
Be aware that the CELTA is not a grammar course and your language awareness will have to be to standard. A C1 and preferably C2 level on the Common European Framework is required to be able to participate on the course. There are books we recommend you to read before the course starts, there is a pre-course task to complete once you have been accepted onto the course, and we will give you free access to an online grammar course from the University of Cambridge, which has been specially designed for starting teachers and CELTA candidates who need to brush-up their language awareness. With a bit of effort, you will be well prepared before your course starts. During the course we have language analysis input sessions to help you.
- Can I work during the course?
The intensive nature of this course means that any professional or personal commitments during the course can seriously compromise your result.
- What is the difference between CELTA and TESOL?
Both programs offer an international language teacher training program. Eton Institute demonstrates through external inspection that its courses meet the highest of international quality standards in language services. The CELTA qualification is certified by the University of Cambridge. Both programs offer a theoretical and practical element to the course, with 6 hours of observed teaching practice, meeting international standards. We offer CELTA as an Intensive course and TESOL as Extended and Online.
- Can I do the course online or via correspondence?
Polyskills Institute offers the CELTA course online or via correspondence. TESOL Online course (Teaching English to Speakers of Other Languages) and you can earn the certificate through self-study.
- Do I need to have taught before in order to do the course?
No. The CELTA course is designed as a course for people with no previous teaching experience or more experienced teachers who wish to gain an internationally accepted teaching qualification.
- What measures are taken to ensure the high quality of the course?
CELTA is a uniformly designed course with the content and examination strategy standards set by Cambridge ESOL. The importance of high-quality training & education in undeniable and is ensured through various methods:
- Every year, CELTA Assessment centers are subject to approval by the University of Cambridge ESOL Examinations
- Cambridge ESOL appoints an external assessor for every course
- A Joint Chief Assessor is chosen to ensure quality standard maintenance at each center
- Annual meetings between assessment centers, trainers and Joint Chief Assessors, where course quality and student feedback are shared and discussed
- How many candidates pass/fail?
According to Cambridge, almost 12,000 candidates take the CELTA course annually of which 3-5% fail the course. This is due to the fact that Cambridge sets certain standards that applicants must comply with to attend the course, therefore filtering candidates from the very beginning. Additionally, the course is highly interactive, ensuring that all possible support is provided to the applicant.
11. Is CELTA a qualification for experienced teachers?
Yes. Increasingly more language schools expect their teachers – even when they are experienced – to have a certified teaching qualification.
12. Should I bring my laptop?
Yes, you should. You will need it to write your lesson plans and assignments. Moreover, the Internet can be a valuable help when you need to analyse language or have to find authentic material for your lessons. You will get free access to WIFI at our centre and our printer.